Today was a little crazy for us. Wait, let me rephrase that, every day is always a little crazy, but today was a little extra, if you know what I mean. Apparently, I over planned…haha. I do that sometimes. I cannot help myself! Once the weekend arrives, I am beyond excited. My husband is home, and I have some helping hands with Emma, and I just want to get out and do things and see people. Being a stay at home mom is great, but the four walls are real and they can close up on you fast if you do not get out and enjoy, even if it makes for a crazy day!
So how does that play into our foodie plans? Easy, I got home late, tired, and needed something fast. Thankfully, I have a great husband who loves my food. He immediately said, “Sweetie can you make that avocado toast with eggs?”. Yes! This is one of the easiest meals, and fastest meals you can make. I always have avocados on hand. I buy them in bulk and I use them daily, whether for lunch with tuna salad, or one of my favorites, sliced tomatoes with sliced avocados and sharp cheddar cheese.
The open faced sandwich my husband is referring to is well known to avocado lovers. You just need to mash up a couple of ripe avocados, slice some ripe roma tomatoes, and mix the avocados with a couple tablespoons of lime juice and salt, pepper, and garlic powder as desired. All that is topped with a creamy, perfectly cooked poached egg. The yolks are runny and the whites are done. Just the way I like it!
This is a great opportunity to let you know the gluten free bread that I love and use often. It took me forever to find a bread that not only did not have an after taste, but also had the texture and chew that you typically feel never happens with gluten free options. I use Schar Bread. I am so thankful for that line, and it has really helped me enjoy bread again. I live in Louisiana, but it is not like I found this brand in a specialty store. I discovered it at Walmart! They also have a online site that you can order or search for locations near you where they sell their products. I used to always have to toast gluten free bread to make it taste any where close to normal bread and have the same texture. This is the first time I have been able to buy a loaf of bread and make a “soft” sandwich and not feel like I am eating something that is too dense, or that leaves a horrible after taste. I hope you will try it. I am so glad I did.
Places where you can find Schar Bread:
Recipe for this easy and quick meal is below:
Quick Avocado, Tomato and Poached Egg Sandwich
3-4 TBSP White Vinegar and 1 Tsp Salt
2-3 TBSP Lime Juice
1/2 Tsp Salt/Pepper
Sprinkle Garlic Powder
1 Roma Tomato (thinly sliced)
4 slices of gluten free bread (I prefer Schar Brand)
Sprinkle Paprika (Garnish)
- Toast the bread.
- In a 2 quart saute pan, pour enough water to reach an inch to an inch and a half in the pan. Bring the water to a boil and then turn it back down to where it barely bubbles, but it is still steaming. Add the vinegar and 1 tsp salt and stir.
- I usually only add two eggs at a time. When you add them add them slowly to the hot water. Set the timer for 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside a dish that has a paper towel on it. Once the eggs are to your desired firmness, use a slotted spoon to remove the eggs and put them on the paper towel to dry.
- While they are drying quickly spoon out the avocados and mash them. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and lime juice and mix well.
- Slice the tomatoes
- Top the toasted bread with the avocado mixture and then the sliced tomatoes.
- Carefully place the poached egg on top of the sandwich and top with Paprika.
I really hope you enjoy this quick meal and let me know what you think!!!!!